Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Snails or Olinda (which means Oh, beautiful)

(This was supposed to be the beginning of the Olinda blogs.)
It is a good thing that I can dig into past photo files since my attempt this morning to snap a picture of a nice big* interesting snail was less than acceptable.


These photos were taken last October, when we visited Olinda for the third time and remembered to take our camera and use it, and Elder and Sister Burrup took lots of good shots too. Olinda is an old city, founded in the 1500's. It has beaches, hills, old cathedrals, and a lot of tourist shops. We hailed a taxi to get a ride from the beach to the top of the hill. We tried a couple of different taxis, but they would only hold four people plus the driver, and we had five in our group. Rather than pay two taxi fares Dad decided to do a fast walk to the top. We saw the church pictured in the second part of the series, and by then he was at the top. Quite the exercise! (Dad and I had a tour of the church before and were even shown an inner room with all the costly robes and apparell. This time, even with a guide, we could not go in that room.)



Some streets are quite steep and most are cobblestone, or asphalt over old cobblestone. This picture includes a view of Recife in the distance. While I was checking out great vistas, Dad checked on the size of mosquitoes in the area. With his aversion to mosquitoes and allergic reaction to their bites, you would think he wouldn't get within ten feet of one if it could be avoided.



Actually, we talked him into this pose. (You can determine the size this critter yourself.)
*Big in this case means about three inches stem to stern.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Great posts! It was so fun to see pictures of the beautiful Brazilian scenery. Looks like you're having fun--we wouldn't wish anything less for you (and I commend the double scoop ice cream cone)! Yum! I've gone off sugar again and after reading this post, my resolve is being tested (I keep thinking about the leftover cookies and cream in my freezer).

Brian Bailey said...

Snails and Olinda, that sounds like a dish at Slugs and Stones. I didn't know that they had ice cream in Brazil, what flavors do they have passion fruit and papaya?
Brian

Kim said...

Fun pictures! Hope you are doing great. Can't wait to see you before too long!